The Mountain Winery University
An educational series, led by sommelier Juli DeAngelo...
MWU was developed in 2011 because our Sommeliers believed that there was a thirst for educational wine courses in the Santa Cruz Mountains. The concept has been met with the support of the local wine community, and we now host more than 10 courses a year. Below is a description of a few of the classes we have had in the past and plan to offer again in the future. Please feel free to contact us with questions regarding the course schedule, comments on your experience, or suggestions for future course content! We look forward to seeing you in the classroom.
Elevating Your Dining Experience
Join us for a new and exciting class! In this course, a Sommelier will lead you through a journey of getting to know wine through your senses (sight, smell, taste). You will then build on this knowledge while you experiment with basic food and wine flavor combinations. The Sommelier will also demonstrate how to decipher a wine list and make decisions based on your budget and expectations. A Must for business professionals or anyone wanting to make informed decisions to elevate their dining experiences!
- Discussion of wine grape varieties and common wine list varietals
- Presentation of tasting technique through your senses
- Exercise in tasting wines individually while applying technique
- Exercise in basic food pairing using your experience
- Presentation of deciphering a wine list and making value based decisions
- Discussion and student questions
Recommended Prerequisite: A love of all types and styles of wine!
From Vineyard to Table
Join us to experience a hands-on, relaxed wine course and enjoy a beautiful Sunday at the Mountain Winery. In this one and a half hour class, students will join our very own on-site Sommelier and gain an overview of the basic winemaking process. At the end of the course, you will understand the important steps in winemaking from the vineyard to the table. Students will take a brief tour of our Estate vineyard and also be guided through an in depth wine tasting.
In this class you will:
- Indulge in the basics – tasting with a white and a red
- Learn the methods of the winemaking process
- Enjoy a second tasting while you engage in a knowledgeable discussion with your instructor
- Tour the Estate’s vineyard and see where it all begins
- Taste like a pro – Our Sommelier will guide you through an in- depth final tasting
- Receive handouts to take home
Recommended Prerequisite: Love of wine and a thirst for knowledge!
Wine & Sicilian Pizza Pairing
In this two-hour session, you will experience the basics of wine tasting coupled with pairing fresh traditional ingredients. We will introduce you to common varietals paired with rustic, authentic Sicilian pizzas or Schiacciata (skee-ah-cha-tah). A fun, social Sunday afternoon class where you discover what works and what doesn't (and why) through tasting and discussion, when it comes to wine pairings.
This class is perfect for inspiring the at-home entertainer's next dinner party or toasting a low-key Sunday.
Recommended Prerequisite: None
Duration: 2 Hours
Includes: 5 Mountain Winery Wines, 5 portions of rustic Sicilian Pizza